Sunday, February 10, 2008

Excitement

I’m really excited to be taking this class. I’m not entirely sure what to expect from it, though. I’m mostly looking forward to discussions. Many other courses for women’s studies are popular as interest courses (i.e. Human Sexuality, Intro to Feminist Theology) and draw in many people trying to get GEs out of the way. It’s not very conducive to conversation. A class full of Women’s Studies majors seems promising.

The readings look like they’ll keep me interested throughout the semester. A lot of them I would have read on my own time (if I had the luxury of leisure reading). I was happy to see that I already owned some of the books though, sadly, didn’t get a chance to finish one of them yet. There’s nothing like mandatory reading to coerce me to start paging through books that I actually want to read.

I’ve been lucky enough to take a large amount of WS courses here and I think a majority of them will help me with this class.
- Intro to Feminist Theology helped me learn deconstructive criticism methods, finding the flaws in how we use language—which is tremendously helpful for various types of feminist analysis.
- Philosophy and Feminism brought me up to date with major legal issues surrounding women’s rights as well as a deeper understanding of the different schools of feminist thought. (ex. Radical vs. Liberal)
- Media in Contemporary Culture promotes viewing media with a skeptical eye. This approach is extremely beneficial when talking about modern influences and the subordination of women.
- SARN, and the training that comes with it, will hopefully give me a little insight about modern “domestic” issues and how we (society) address/perpetuate common forms of oppression.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Thanks, Matt; I look forward to hearing you enrich our seminar discussions with this wealth of knowledge from previous courses.
Anne